Saturday, March 19, 2011

21 hours 'til departure...

It is the eve of my departure to South Africa. I've got some mixed emotions but mostly I am really excited. It almost seems surreal because all of us have been talking about it for so long. I will certainly miss my students from Steele, but I am thrilled to meet the students in SA. I am curious to see the differences between the schools here and there and the cultures overall. I'm excited to get to know my four room mates better and develop lifelong relationships with them and the other 13 students going. I am NOT excited for the 27 hours total on the airplane...

I am not 100% positive how much access I will have to internet so I will do my best with this blog. I know lots of you want to follow along with this trip, see pictures, and hear about what I'm doing. I promise, I will do my best to keep you updated, but also understand with all that we're doing and the "behind-the-times" technology over there, I may not have frequent access. I will be keeping a written journal while I'm there so my plan is to write once or twice a week on this blog highlighting things from my journal and posting a few pictures. I may not post all of my pictures right away - I would prefer to spend time with my host family and other students than to spend time posting pictures, but I will post some here and there so you get a taste :)

THANK YOU all from the bottom of my heart for the thoughts and prayers as I embark on this journey. I anticipate that this will all be a huge life lesson for me not only with education and culture but personally too. I could not ask for a better group of students to travel with. These people are very open for discussion about anything and everything. We also have quite a bit of time together to ponder, debate, laugh, and cry with each other. I don't expect anything less than to be totally and utterly exhausted by the end of this trip, but to take so much from it that will teach me so many things.

Prayers from South Africa for my friends and family back home..Love you all!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment